Sunday, May 17, 2009

It's been awhile...

It is a new quarter HHS, and means new blog posts. I chose to read an article titled An Iraqi Cleric’s Swift Rise and Swift Fall. This article was about how a wealthy businessman named Muthanna Youssef Hammoud was kidnapped in Thuluyah, Iraq. However, Hammoud was kidnapped back in October of 2006. The reason the article was in the Washington Post this week was because it was only recently that Iraqi and U.S. soldiers arrested the man who was believed to have been the mastermind behind the whole operation. His name is Nadhim Khalil, and he was a former insurgent leader and American ally. All of the controversy over this event was due to the vying of political power that went on in Iraq after Khalil’s arrest. The media blamed the departure of American Troops as a major factor in the recent event.
I chose this article because foreign policy interests me. There is always something going on overseas, and I feel somewhat responsible to know a tad about what is going on out side of the U.S. I honestly do not know that much, but by reading these articles I am hoping that some of the facts will stick. As a whole, the article was written fairly well. The author hit all of the main points left the reader wanting more. The only thing that I wish were different about it is that there was more background story. The author briefly discussed why the issue was important, but, as an uneducated reader, it left me wanting more.

No comments: